The details of the 2013 Standardbred Ontario Sires Stakes (OSS) were announced today by the Program Administrator of the Horse Improvement Program. Following extensive work by industry groups, the OSS has been repositioned to meet the challenges of the future, while maintaining many of the features that will ensure that the OSS continues to be one of the leading programs of its type in North America.
$14.6 million in purses will be offered to Ontario Sired horses under a Grassroots and Gold format. The Ontario Sired and Ontario Bred Rewards, at 5% and 15% respectively, will be maintained to support the breeding community.
Highlights Gold Series – New format
- The 2013 Gold Series will culminate in the crowning of the best Ontario Sired horses with the $200K Gold Super Finals in late September
- The new season format is comprised of 2 legs, leading to a Mid-Season Challenge, followed by another 2 legs leading to the Super Finals
- The total purse for each leg is set at $210K, with a cap of $150K per division
- The new Mid-Season Challenge will have a purse of $150K for the top 10 point earners in the first two legs. A $50,000 Consolation will also be offered for the next 10 point earners
- Points for the Gold Super Finals will be accumulated throughout the season
- Grassroots regular season events have been maintained at 6 legs for each category of age/sex/gait, culminating in the Grassroots Championships in late September
- Starting fees have been reduced to $300
- The total purse for each Grassroots event will be $90K, with a cap of $18K per division
- The top 10 point earners throughout the season will compete in the Grassroots Championships
- Grassroots Semi-Finals have been eliminated
- Purses for the Grassroots Championships are set at $50K
With the issuance of the 2013 race date calendar by the Ontario Racing Commission, the administration is currently working on completion of the 2013 OSS race schedule and will release a calendar of dates and locations shortly.
The Program Administrator wishes to thank the Working Group and the Standardbred Improvement Program Advisory Group, for their thoughts and advice in helping to form the 2013 season.
For further details, click here or contact:
OSS Administration Coordinator