On Wednesday, April 16, a group of Standardbred breeders from across the province issued a Statement Of Claim against the Province of Ontario and a Statement Of Claim against the Ontario Lottery and Gaming Corporation for damages arising from the manner in which the Slots at Racetracks Program was cancelled.
In its Statement Of Claim, the group of Standardbred breeders claim:
- a declaration that the Defendant owed common law, contractual, quasi-contractual and equitable obligations to the Plaintiffs and that those obligations were breached;
- damages in the amount of $60,000,000 for negligence, negligent and/or intentional misrepresentation, breach of contract, waiver of tort and unjust enrichment;
- punitive, aggravated, and exemplary damages in the amount of $5,000,000 or as otherwise determined by this Honourable Court;
- pre-judgment and post-judgment interest in accordance with sections 128 and 129 of the Courts of Justice Act, R.S.O. 1990, c. C.43, as amended;
- the costs of this proceeding on a substantial indemnity basis, plus all applicable taxes; and
- such further and other Relief as this Honourable Court may deem just.
To see the Statement Of Claim Against The Province Of Ontario Click here.
To see the Statement Of Claim Against The OLG Click here.