As part of the Enhanced Breeders Rewards for Standardbreds in 2015, the Standardbred Breeders of Ontario Association (SBOA) is pleased to allocate $1 million in breeder’s incentives to be paid out on a pro rata basis — as determined by the advertised service fee of the Ontario Sire (recorded with the OSS for the 2014 breeding season) — for all foals registered by December 31, 2015 that are both Ontario Sired and Ontario Bred.
The SBOA has designed the Tier 1 Breeder’s Incentives to reward the owners/lessees of eligible Ontario Resident Mares that chose to invest in and support the Ontario Standardbred breeding industry during the 2014 breeding season by breeding to an Ontario Sire. The subsequent foals from these 2014 matings, being foals of 2015, will meet the criteria of being both Ontario Sired and Ontario Bred.
By choosing to breed to an Ontario Sire in 2014, the owners/lessees of eligible Ontario Resident Mares have committed to producing a quality Ontario Sired and Ontario Bred product that will be eligible to sell as yearlings in 2016 and race in the Ontario Sires Stakes program as 2-year-olds and 3-year-olds in 2017 and 2018.
Important Reminders for Participation in the Tier 1 Breeder’s Incentives:
- To qualify as an Ontario Resident Mare, the mare must be enrolled with and meet of the criteria of the Standardbred Improvement Program each year prior to her foaling date. An annual enrolment fee of $50 is applicable.
- New in 2015, the enrolment fee for any mare enrolled as an Ontario Resident Mare with the Standardbred Improvement Program after her foaling date will be $300, payable by September 1st of the foaling year.
- Complete details of the Ontario Resident Mare Program can be found in the Program Criteria Book (www.ontariohorseracing.ca)
- All 2015 foals that are both Ontario Bred and Ontario Sired must be fully registered with either Standardbred Canada or the USTA by December 31, 2015 in order to share in their pro-rata portion of the $1 million breeder’s incentive. No exceptions will be provided for late registrations.
- The SBOA will be distributing the Tier 1 Breeder’s Incentives to all owners/lessees of eligible Ontario Resident Mares whose 2015 foals meet the program requirements in early 2016.